Civil Rights Law

Father’s Rights – Changing or Hyphenating Your Child’s Last Name

Last names are important because they identify us with our families and remind us where we come from. Did you know that you can ask a court to change your child’s last name if it is not the same as yours? If you are the father of a child whose last name is different than yours, there are two main ways to change the child’s last name. The first way is to get the consent of the mother. If this doesn’t work, you can ask a court to change the child’s name over the objection of the mother under Article 6 of the NY Civil Rights Law.